Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- First Thursday Branch Social Thursday 5th March 2015 8:00 pm Swan, Three Mile Cross
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Tuesday 10th March 2015 8:00 pm Great Expectations, Reading
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 130,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Friday, 15:17 : RT @TheGrumpyGoat_: Amazing opening night at The Castle Tap yesterday! Whoo @castle_tap is now open for business! #rdguk #realale #craftbeer
- Friday, 12:31 : RT @FoxandHounds2BB: @ReadingCAMRA here's a few of the beers for this weekend. http://t.co/ij8hyQxNrpic.twitter.com/ij8hyQxNrc
- Friday, 11:49 : RT @castle_tap: A massive thanks go out to everybody who came and drank tonight. Also a massive thanks to all who worked and delivered.
- Friday, 11:49 : RT @RealAle_Reading: RURAS enjoying the grand opening of The Castle Tap! @castle_tap #realale http://t.co/M6zi7u5Vwpic.twitter.com/M6zi7u5Vwn
- Friday, 11:39 : The latest edition of our magazine (news on local pubs and breweries), 'Mine's a Pint' is out now! issuu.com/danspeed/docs/… #rdguk
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday, 16:28 : RT @timroca85: Signed up to CAMRA's Election Pledges for Pubs and Real Ale. Key part of local communities! @CAMRA_Official @MECCAMRA http:/pic.twitter.com/TLubL8YkQe
- Thursday, 13:19 : RT @BrandonLewis: Good meeting with @CAMRA_Official today to discuss planning protection for pubs as ACVs. Pleased to be working together f…
- Wednesday, 12:34 : RT @RobinWalkerMP: Proud to have supported beer duty cuts that delivered this http://t.co/VB0PCKLAE5 here's to one more @CAMRA_Official @CA@CAMRA_WM
- Monday 23rd February, 19:41 : Getting MPs and Ministers on board to support a third #cutbeerduty pic.twitter.com/C6VmNFMWM6
- Monday 23rd February, 18:08 : Minister @khopkinsmp talks about the government's commitment to pubs a the launch of our report #cutbeerduty
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Wednesday 17th December, 18:58 : We would like to thank our media sponsor @getreading @hilarymscott for their continued support over the last 20 years. cheers! #TheLastPost
- Friday 25th July 2014, 20:15 : RT @ReadingCAMRA: Public meeting to discuss local pub closures, this Monday, Eldon Arms, 8pm. If you care about the future of Reading pubs …
- Wednesday 28th May 2014, 22:39 : Please spare a few moments to complete our belated 2014 festival survey: docs.google.com/forms/d/16SkiT… Non attenders - opinions welcome on survey.
- Sunday 4th May 2014, 16:50 : After a great day and lots of thirsty customers, we are now closed to new customers. You've nearly drunk it all! pic.twitter.com/mDd3q26Mye
- Sunday 4th May 2014, 16:08 : RT @adamlinstead: Having a great day in the sunshine at @Readingbeerfest