Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- First Thursday of the Month Social Thursday 1st September 2016 8:00 pm Greyfriar, Reading
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Thursday 22nd September 2016 8:00 pm Bell & Bottle, Shinfield
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organisation with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organisation in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Thursday 25th August, 20:52 : RT @NagsHeadReading: Three new breweries enter our cellar this week, @WimbledonBrew, @crystalbrewales, and @BucksStarUK...along with... pic.twitter.com/m0SlZhiLrq
- Thursday 18th August, 13:12 : RT @binghamsbrewery: What an eloquent and well considered review. Really enjoyed reading this - do check it out! twitter.com/FullFlagon/sta…
- Wednesday 17th August, 12:12 : RT @binghamsbrewery: And now for the big reveal... our brand new revamped pump clips have arrived! Lookin' smart! #vanillastout #cbob pic.twitter.com/LtCdFZ8xjB
- Saturday 13th August, 13:32 : RT @getreading: Berkshire, home to the best beer in Britain! #Woky @binghamsbrewery @CamraBSE #camra getreading.co.uk/whats-on/food-…
- Wednesday 10th August, 08:07 : RT @BeerWriteAwards: A speciality beer wins @CAMRA_Official Champion Beer of Britain @gbbf - well done @binghamsbrewery Vanilla Stout pic.twitter.com/9b11d0F7X1
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Tuesday 23rd August, 12:00 : We've just released the much-anticipated new edition of Britain’s Best Real Heritage Pubs ow.ly/1y9g303uBDb pic.twitter.com/fAUdrFN2TZ
- Monday 22nd August, 22:29 : RT @CRRosenstiel: @BBCRadio4 World Tonight @camcitco used Article 4 directions to protect its pubs several years ago. What kept Wandsworth? @CAMRA_Official
- Monday 22nd August, 19:14 : RT @lathkilhotel: @CAMRA_Official why not head out to the #peakdistrict for our #BeerFestival? #realale #livemusic #pubinthepeaks pic.twitter.com/0zwXudMuYC
- Tuesday 23rd August, 08:00 : Find out why the @shfCAMRA are campaigning to save the University Arms ow.ly/G9bj303uyHG
- Monday 22nd August, 17:58 : RT @TheNarrows13: @PrescottAles @WhiteHorseBrew @Adnams @SharpsBrewery @westberksbrew @CAMRA_Official today's ales pic.twitter.com/e6M1RAFL5E
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Sunday 1st May, 16:25 : RT @slowpokesam: Another brilliant @Readingbeerfest done. Surpasses itself every year. Great effort from all the volunteers. pic.twitter.com/QodemP4SAv
- Sunday 1st May, 10:53 : 159 different ales on sale with more on the way, 60 ciders, a great selection of foreign beers, wines and mead. Should be a great day today!
- Saturday 30th April, 20:09 : Outlaw Blue at #rbf16 #rdgbeerfest pic.twitter.com/T3oFL7ZkNC
- Saturday 30th April, 19:23 : Many thanks to our new publicity partner for 2016 @reading_buses pic.twitter.com/XEc7v5AoXJ
- Saturday 30th April, 19:14 : A good range of hot food available for those feeling a bit peckish. pic.twitter.com/CvZZbK4uU4