Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- First Thursday Branch Social Thursday 2nd April 2015 8:00 pm Castle Tap, Reading
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Tuesday 7th April 2015 8:00 pm Fox & Hounds, Tilehurst
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 130,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Tuesday, 09:36 : This Thursday is our first social of the month. Join us from 8pm at The @castle_tap
- Thursday 26th March, 20:47 : RT @ThePubChampion: @CAMRA_Official big thanks to all #CAMRA members for their part in the #historic @FairDeal4Locals victory, #marketrentonly option now #law!
- Thursday 26th March, 19:13 : RT @FairDeal4Locals: We have an Act of Parliament. We have #madepubhistory. Tied pubs have a better future. More to do, but now let's celebrate! #PubHeroes
- Thursday 26th March, 18:20 : RT @NormanTaylor73: Not long to go now!! Who's coming? @Wadworth @ReadingCAMRA @AltReading @EldonArmsPub pic.twitter.com/Eou89BCFNs
- Thursday 26th March, 11:34 : CAMRA member with Wetherspoons vouchers due to expire...come along on Sunday! readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i… + youtube.com/watch?v=uIfO_Q…
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Tuesday, 23:31 : RT @CllrIanBrandon: Small #cider farmers need our support! Tell @hmtreasury to reject the new EU tax @CAMRA_Official you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/prot… via @38_degrees
- Wednesday, 08:57 : RT @HerefordCAMRA: Cross Guns Inn - Asset of Community Value #Shropshire ow.ly/L41Kj #CAMRA #CommunityPubs @CAMRA_Official pic.twitter.com/VMPNYhiWWs
- Monday, 15:54 : #GE2015 campaign has begun! Already 649 PPCs backing our beer & pub pledges - 1 for each constituency. Get involved - camra.org.uk/ge2015
- Tuesday 24th March, 10:27 : RT @tobyperkinsmp: Today the #pubscode & #MRO option presaging a better future for Britain's pubs should pass into law.Delighted for all who played a part.
- Monday 23rd March, 15:30 : RT @morningad: .@CAMRA_Official members urged to visit ACV-listed pubs in support of #CommunityPubsDay: morningadvertiser.co.uk/General-News/C…
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Monday 9th March, 21:13 : Advance tickets now on sale, please visit readingbeerfestival.org.uk for more information and to purchase your ticket!
- Wednesday 17th December, 18:58 : We would like to thank our media sponsor @getreading @hilarymscott for their continued support over the last 20 years. cheers! #TheLastPost
- Friday 25th July 2014, 20:14 : RT @ReadingCAMRA: Public meeting to discuss local pub closures, this Monday, Eldon Arms, 8pm. If you care about the future of Reading pubs please come along.
- Wednesday 28th May 2014, 22:39 : Please spare a few moments to complete our belated 2014 festival survey: docs.google.com/forms/d/16SkiT… Non attenders - opinions welcome on survey.
- Sunday 4th May 2014, 16:50 : After a great day and lots of thirsty customers, we are now closed to new customers. You've nearly drunk it all! pic.twitter.com/mDd3q26Mye