Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- Social: Loddon Brewery Open Day Saturday 15th October 2016 TBC
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Wednesday 19th October 2016 8:00 pm Fox & Hounds, Caversham
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organisation with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organisation in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Saturday, 11:53 : RT @Ascot_Beer_Fest: Next Fri & Sat @Ascot try @CAMRA_Official Champion Beer of Britain: Vanilla Stout from local heroes… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
- Sunday, 08:48 : RT @rivermeadbeer: Hey @ReadingCAMRA - TODAY at Rivermead. 12 midday to 5pm. Free entry & £2 a pint. 31 breweries, ale & cider! pic.twitter.com/XpLIaSIiUy
- Friday, 13:06 : RT @rivermeadbeer: 8 MORE breweries headed to #rdguk on Saturday. Discount tickets available now. reading.bracknaleevents.co.uk/2016/09/21/rea…
- Friday, 12:12 : RT @binghamsbrewery: Our pallets of Vanilla Stout have arrived! Available in bottle or draught from our shop, or by the case online at… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
- Wednesday 21st September, 22:58 : RT @LiberalJames: Delighted to present Paul and Peggy at The Foresters Arms with their re-entry into The Good Beer Guide - well deser… twitter.com/i/web/status/7…
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Monday, 19:30 : There will be a meet and greet with Heritage Pubs author Geoff Brandwood this thursday and friday at @stalbansbf 11.00am - 7.00pm
- Monday, 17:05 : Last Revitalisation Consultation meeting takes place in Darlington on Sat. Make your views known on CAMRA’s future: revitalisation.camra.org.uk/get-involved/?…
- Monday, 16:57 : The real political contest this week! CAMRA pub game at the Labour Party Conference. twitter.com/anna4labour/st…
- Monday, 09:27 : RT @ThreeFiends: @MagicRockRich @MagicRockTap @CAMRA_Official Yes and so are we 😉 pic.twitter.com/LZ8qKuFdNe
- Monday, 11:51 : RT @wineguroo: @drinkmoorbeer's canned beer recognised as real ale by @CAMRA_Official thedrinksbusiness.com/2016/09/beer-i… #beer #ale
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Sunday 1st May, 16:25 : RT @slowpokesam: Another brilliant @Readingbeerfest done. Surpasses itself every year. Great effort from all the volunteers. pic.twitter.com/QodemP4SAv
- Sunday 1st May, 10:53 : 159 different ales on sale with more on the way, 60 ciders, a great selection of foreign beers, wines and mead. Should be a great day today!
- Saturday 30th April, 20:09 : Outlaw Blue at #rbf16 #rdgbeerfest pic.twitter.com/T3oFL7ZkNC
- Saturday 30th April, 19:23 : Many thanks to our new publicity partner for 2016 @reading_buses pic.twitter.com/XEc7v5AoXJ
- Saturday 30th April, 19:14 : A good range of hot food available for those feeling a bit peckish. pic.twitter.com/CvZZbK4uU4