Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- Beer Festival Publicity Social Thursday 3rd December 2015 TBC
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Wednesday 9th December 2015 8:00 pm Castle Tap, Reading
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 130,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Wednesday 18th November, 23:55 : RT @ProtectPubs: Indeed, yet caring #Pubco @Admiral_Taverns sold it to a developer. Chuffin' marvellous! @ReadingCAMRA @nickbse twitter.com/timofnewbury/s…
- Wednesday 4th November, 09:12 : RT @WildWeatherAles: Remember folks, we are @ThegreyfriarRDG tonight talking through new and old brews, including all the exciting things coming up! TAP TAKEOVER
- Tuesday 3rd November, 21:26 : Our next social is this Thursday evening at our Club of the Year, the Wargrave Snooker Club, all welcome! readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i…
- Tuesday 3rd November, 09:08 : RT @alanmacro: Fox and Hounds pub, near #Theale raised an amazing £130 for Theale Primary School at their Halloween evening fb.me/7CnUsgeFs
- Monday 2nd November, 17:44 : RT @SirQuinno: @ReadingCAMRA great selection at Retreat 2day; Theakston OP, Wye Valley HPA, Butcombe Chinook, Moorhouse Ruby, Sharps Coaster, York Vienna
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Wednesday, 11:39 : RT @LittleValleyAle: Getting excited for the @bbcgoodfood show tomorrow! Keep an eye out for our Hebden's Wheat with @CAMRA_Official on Friday! #Beer #realale
- Tuesday, 09:36 : Kent micropub is nominated for the National Pub of the Year award | via @Telegraph telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink…
- Monday, 15:36 : CAMRA's at Good Food Show Winter this week with four more amazing beer tastings! Still time to get your tickets. pic.twitter.com/juVSjRKuWB
- Monday, 06:32 : RT @SPAlehouse: Delighted to hear that we have won @CAMRA_Official Pub of the Year at Super-Regional level! Wow! In the top 4 for the final selection!
- Monday, 06:48 : RT @manof_kent: Hats off to the Yard of Ale in #broadstairs #kent now in the last 4 @CAMRA_Official 2015 UK Pub of The Year! Congratulations Shawn and Ian!
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Tuesday 29th September, 20:47 : RT @ValeBrewery: Full house at @castle_tap tonight to be presented with @ReadingCAMRA Champion Beer of @Readingbeerfest award! pic.twitter.com/XeAhGuu363
- Thursday 20th August, 18:18 : Remember this? Pick of the Past: Hexagon Beer Festival 1980 getreading.co.uk/news/reading-b… (via @getreading)
- Tuesday 5th May 2015, 09:15 : RT @getreading: Here's what you missed at @Readingbeerfest #rdguk #RBF2015 bit.ly/1DQ2Jfw pic.twitter.com/L3QEHjJHtS
- Tuesday 5th May 2015, 07:16 : RT @getreading: Cheers! Recap all the pictures from @Readingbeerfest: getreading.co.uk/all-about/read… #RBF2015 #rdguk pic.twitter.com/1Bcrdg4XaX
- Monday 4th May 2015, 20:22 : Please spare a couple of minutes of your time to complete our 2015 festival customer survey goo.gl/forms/YwZmFi6N…