Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- Branch Social Wednesday 22nd April 2015 8:00 pm Good Companions, Woodley
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Tuesday 12th May 2015 8:00 pm Binghams Brewery, Ruscombe
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 130,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Saturday, 09:31 : We're very saddened to report that Russ Wood passed away yesterday afternoon. RIP Russ, we miss you. pic.twitter.com/NAMx7Pm6PI
- Friday, 15:42 : RT @Readingbeerfest: Just 13 days to go until we open #RBF2015! Have you got your ticket yet? readingbeerfestival.org.uk
- Thursday, 17:08 : RT @CAMRA_Official: Watch the first in our new beer series 'A Taste of Real Ale' here: youtube.com/watch?v=G37sFt… - first up is @kernelbrewery Export India Porter
- Wednesday, 13:18 : Advance notice of 2016 Beer & Cider Festival Organiser Co-option: readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i…
- Tuesday, 19:03 : RT @getreading: Berkshire pubs make the @CAMRA_Official shortlist for Best in the UK: getreading.co.uk/news/local-new… #rdguk pic.twitter.com/j2OEp7AVbe
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Saturday, 22:54 : RT @BrumCAMRA: A great day at the @CAMRA_Official AGM followed by some super @NottinghamCAMRA Canning Circus pubs @CAMRA_WM
- Saturday, 19:15 : Thanks to Keith Spencer and Paul Scrivens who have stepped down for their contribution to the campaign as part of the NE #camraagm
- Saturday, 19:13 : National Executive votes have been counted, well done to our new NE members Ian Hill & Alexander Wright. ow.ly/i/aqk8z
- Saturday, 15:45 : Chelmsford and Mid-Essex branch receive award for cider campaigning at #camraagm. Well done.
- Saturday, 14:33 : RT @CAMRA_AGM: “Our successes are real.” Colin Valentine at #camraagm
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Friday, 15:42 : Just 13 days to go until we open #RBF2015! Have you got your ticket yet? readingbeerfestival.org.uk
- Friday, 15:24 : RT @hopkettlebrew: Update Update we are actually sending Flapjack Marmalade to @Readingbeerfest this year only the 2nd cask ever made so keep an eye out
- Friday 10th April, 11:40 : Live music information for Friday and Saturday available at: readingbeerfest.blogspot.co.uk/p/live-music-e… Click on line-up images for more info.
- Thursday 9th April, 10:11 : Only 3 weeks to go now.
- Monday 9th March, 21:13 : Advance tickets now on sale, please visit readingbeerfestival.org.uk for more information and to purchase your ticket!