Speak up and demand a fair deal for your local pub. Stop the exploitation of licensees by the large pub companies. Sign up for a Fair Deal for Your Local!
Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- Beer Census Saturday 25th October 2014 TBC
Our next branch meeting
- Branch AGM Tuesday 11th November 2014 8:00 pm Corn Stores
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 130,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Monday, 10:27 : A good excuse for a few beers & we'll have a social at results time. If you can help (even if only a couple of pubs), let us know. (2/2)
- Monday, 10:26 : Reading CAMRA Beer Census 2014 is this coming Saturday (25th). We need volunteers to survey pubs: many hands make light work! (1/2)
- Tuesday 14th October, 20:46 : RT @tomfooled: At my first @readingCAMRA meeting. I approve of any official meeting where ale is the drink de jour.
- Saturday 27th September, 10:00 : Caversham pub crawl starts at NOON TODAY readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i…
- Friday 26th September, 14:08 : Caversham pub crawl TOMORROW readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i…
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday 16th October, 15:47 : RT @BridgeDulverton: Very pleased to be in this new @CAMRA_Official beer book by @ATJbeer! Britains Beer Revolution! fb.me/73PRSMc2t
- Wednesday 15th October, 16:31 : Is your local pub under threat? Share your story via CAMRA's Pubs Matter campaign here: pubsmatter.org.uk/local-campaign… #pubsmatter
- Tuesday 14th October, 19:20 : Watch @RogerProtzBeer and @ATJbeer discuss new book Britian's Beer Revolution in our brand new video ow.ly/CIirg
- Tuesday 14th October, 11:25 : Following the removal of CAMRA's recent young members marketing leaflet, please find our official statement here: bit.ly/1rseVNe
- Monday 6th October, 17:03 : RT @ColOriginal: @CAMRAWESTMORLND, @CAMRA_Official - Most of the beer is in place. pic.twitter.com/It4UDFK5XT
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Friday 25th July, 20:15 : RT @readingCAMRA: Public meeting to discuss local pub closures, this Monday, Eldon Arms, 8pm. If you care about the future of Reading pubs …
- Wednesday 28th May, 22:39 : Please spare a few moments to complete our belated 2014 festival survey: docs.google.com/forms/d/16SkiT… Non attenders - opinions welcome on survey.
- Sunday 4th May, 16:50 : After a great day and lots of thirsty customers, we are now closed to new customers. You've nearly drunk it all! pic.twitter.com/mDd3q26Mye
- Sunday 4th May, 16:08 : RT @adamlinstead: Having a great day in the sunshine at @Readingbeerfest
- Sunday 4th May, 15:42 : Getting busy out in the garden, soaking up the sun on this lovely afternoon. pic.twitter.com/lC10btlrED