Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- First Thursday Branch Social Thursday 6th August 2015 7:00 pm Bull, Streatley
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Wednesday 19th August 2015 8:00 pm Fox & Hounds, Caversham
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 130,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Thursday 23rd July, 16:04 : RT @NagsHeadReading: Next week sees us welcome @hopcraft & @WildWeatherAles to come down & take over our 12 handpulls and 2 evilkeg taps! pic.twitter.com/96IVQUkW7L
- Tuesday 21st July, 15:16 : RT @NagsHeadReading: For a very Ltd time only @UprisingBrewery 'Treason' is available on Cask & Keg, if you fancy sampling the difference? pic.twitter.com/YzmWpkVGSB
- Monday 20th July, 15:30 : RT @TheGrumpyGoat_: Get involved in our home brewing competition in collab' with @SirenCraftBrew #homebrew #brewingcompetition #rdguk pic.twitter.com/iujD9DtVqT
- Sunday 19th July, 09:01 : RT @binghamsbrewery: For one night only Binghams Brewery are taking over the taps at The Greyfriar, Reading. Join us on 5th August @ 7pm ow.ly/i/bRWeL
- Saturday 18th July, 14:05 : RT @NewburyBeer: meet up with @WBCAMRA @ReadingCAMRA & @CamraBSE beer lovers for a #Newbeery Ale Trail starting from @cowandcask #micropub on Sat 8 Aug Noon
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Friday 24th July, 12:05 : We're proud to announce @Piperscrisps as the official sponsor of the Good Beer Guide 2016
- Monday 20th July, 17:27 : RT @slowfoodLondon: How to list your local pub as an Asset of Community Value (ACV) by @CAMRA_Official camra.org.uk/list-your-local pic.twitter.com/1Zm3wtwTMx
- Tuesday 21st July, 12:15 : RT @huntsmanLE3: Now selling REAL ALES!! Bottles AND Hand Pulls! @CAMRA_Official RT would be greatly appreciated! #camra #realale pic.twitter.com/3pZZrOmCia
- Tuesday 21st July, 12:20 : The new pub closure stats that were released last week ow.ly/PQmX1
- Monday 20th July, 12:15 : RT @sixpennybrewery: Brewing Addlestone Ale for @gbbf - grain ready for the mash pic.twitter.com/N1GldlMbyH
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Tuesday 5th May, 09:15 : RT @getreading: Here's what you missed at @Readingbeerfest #rdguk #RBF2015 bit.ly/1DQ2Jfw pic.twitter.com/L3QEHjJHtS
- Tuesday 5th May, 07:16 : RT @getreading: Cheers! Recap all the pictures from @Readingbeerfest: getreading.co.uk/all-about/read… #RBF2015 #rdguk pic.twitter.com/1Bcrdg4XaX
- Monday 4th May, 20:22 : Please spare a couple of minutes of your time to complete our 2015 festival customer survey goo.gl/forms/YwZmFi6N…
- Monday 4th May, 19:02 : RT @getreading: .@Readingbeerfest celebrated in pictures: getreading.co.uk/whats-on/food-… #RBF2015 #rdgbeerfest pic.twitter.com/H9mKEXMALZ
- Monday 4th May, 16:37 : #RBF2015 is finished & we're packing up. Thanks to all our customers and volunteers. Stay tuned for #RBF2016 news pic.twitter.com/MHFAoT3nSR