Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion. We promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- First Thursday of the Month Social Thursday 4th May 2017 8:00 pm Butler, Reading
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Tuesday 16th May 2017 8:00 pm Royal Oak, Ruscombe
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This website will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organisation with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organisation in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / ReadingCAMRA
- Wednesday, 22:26 : RT @declarationball: @ReadingCAMRA @EldonArmsPub #rdguk @WhitleyPump Lovely Eldon Arms tonight - hope it returns. pic.twitter.com/UZDnUS2gGq
- Tuesday 18th April, 15:40 : RT @NagsHeadReading: We are now an Untapped Verified Venue! untappd.com/v/the-nags-hea… Another easy way to see what cask, keg, ciders & bot… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Tuesday 18th April, 09:45 : RT @binghamsbrewery: This week sees the launch of our new Hop Project blend. Will also be making an appearance @Readingbeerfest pic.twitter.com/4BbFpRBlT7
- Sunday 16th April, 20:20 : RT @declarationball: Don't rock the boat @EldonArmsPub #rdguk @ReadingCAMRA great night out in proper pub. pic.twitter.com/ExdhY2m6ge
- Saturday 15th April, 10:57 : RT @TheGrumpyGoat_: Open today 10-6pm for all your Easter Cheese & Beery goodness #rdguk #EasterWeekend #CheeseandBeer #CraftBeer pic.twitter.com/cc2hokzALD
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Monday 27th March, 14:57 : Adv tickets available for 2017 fest @ readingbeerfestival.org.uk NEW for 2017: season ticket,valid all public sessions,limited availability!
- Sunday 1st May 2016, 16:25 : RT @slowpokesam: Another brilliant @Readingbeerfest done. Surpasses itself every year. Great effort from all the volunteers. pic.twitter.com/QodemP4SAv
- Sunday 1st May 2016, 10:53 : 159 different ales on sale with more on the way, 60 ciders, a great selection of foreign beers, wines and mead. Should be a great day today!
- Saturday 30th April 2016, 20:09 : Outlaw Blue at #rbf16 #rdgbeerfest pic.twitter.com/T3oFL7ZkNC
- Saturday 30th April 2016, 19:23 : Many thanks to our new publicity partner for 2016 @reading_buses pic.twitter.com/XEc7v5AoXJ
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Saturday, 10:05 : Make the most of your #MildMonth event - we have promotional materials available that you can order here: ow.ly/gteS309XAil
- Saturday, 01:30 : The @savetheQH Crowdfunder, which aims to save the Queens Head in Tebworth, is now live: ow.ly/EFZb30b3pRJ pic.twitter.com/xUtv4KyauL
- Friday, 19:35 : If you've taken photos at a #communitypubsmonth event, we'd love to see them. Share them with us, and we'll RT the best!
- Friday, 17:05 : We're now out of the office until Monday, so please note that any questions or queries posted will be picked up then. Have a great weekend!
- Friday, 13:35 : RT @gbbf: Don't forget that CAMRA Members receive a discount on their tickets for #GBBF, which are available now:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
Twitter / camrabooks
- Friday, 09:55 : Six magnificent London pubs are featured in the latest book by @RogerProtz – fancy a review copy? @EveningStandard… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Wednesday, 19:35 : If the interview with @danieljneilson has piqued your interest, CAMRA's Wild Pub Walks can be pre-ordered here:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Wednesday, 19:30 : Don't miss the @danieljneilson Telegraph interview about walking to the pub ahead of the release of Wild Pub Walks: ow.ly/sIOe30aYYo6
- Tuesday, 19:05 : CAMRA members can now order their copy of Historic Coaching Inns of the Great North Road! Just visit:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Monday 10th April, 15:25 : 'Historic Coaching Inns of the Great North Road' by @RogerProtzBeer is hot off the press and ready to pre-order:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…