Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- Pub Walk - Pangbourne Thursday 4th August 2016 7:15 pm Swan, Pangbourne
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Tuesday 16th August 2016 8:00 pm Griffin, Caversham
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Saturday, 09:49 : RT @fullpint: Find out which Reading pub was once destroyed by rampaging elephants bit.ly/2an2vXx
- Friday 22nd July, 11:52 : RT @binghamsbrewery: Over the moon to have won beer of the festival at @KentBeerFest with our Macchiato Stout. Thanks so much! twitter.com/realaleseeker/…
- Thursday 21st July, 07:29 : RT @AltReading: Fantastic news from East Reading with The Fisherman's Cottage set to re-open altreading.com/fishermans-cot… #rdguk pic.twitter.com/0K3hY7H3MQ
- Wednesday 20th July, 13:31 : RT @getreading: Popular Reading pub to re-open. getreading.co.uk/news/business/… #Rdguk
- Tuesday 19th July, 16:01 : RT @WhitleyPump: Simonds Brewery and pub magazine now online whitleypump.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/sim… pic.twitter.com/hAP0wPfErO
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Friday, 14:15 : RT @StayMerino: Do you have your tickets yet for the Great British Beer Festival? August 9-13: bit.ly/2auN4Bc (@CAMRA_Official and @gbbf)
- Thursday, 17:20 : RT @LoveBridgnorth: Fancy some competitive skittles? #Bridgnorth CAMRA v. Wyre Forest CAMRA. Sat 2pm The Shakespeare @CAMRA_Official pic.twitter.com/VUViGWG30X
- Thursday, 17:06 : RT @tinyrebelbrewco: This pretty little thing will be looking for a new home soon :( Not long 'til @gbbf 2016! @CAMRA_Official pic.twitter.com/rs6glVRYWS
- Wednesday, 15:19 : RT @AtkinsBuilding: Details of upcoming events/exhibitions:atkinsbuilding.co.uk - @earlshiltoncam @CAMRA_Official @HollycroftPark pic.twitter.com/n4ifqyH7rS
- Wednesday, 12:15 : RT @gbbf: Grab your Tutored Tasting tickets for #WCW @BeerHawkMaggie Bottle-Conditioned Beers from Around the World session! pic.twitter.com/vTYjDm7ahD
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Sunday 1st May, 16:25 : RT @slowpokesam: Another brilliant @Readingbeerfest done. Surpasses itself every year. Great effort from all the volunteers. pic.twitter.com/QodemP4SAv
- Sunday 1st May, 10:53 : 159 different ales on sale with more on the way, 60 ciders, a great selection of foreign beers, wines and mead. Should be a great day today!
- Saturday 30th April, 20:09 : Outlaw Blue at #rbf16 #rdgbeerfest pic.twitter.com/T3oFL7ZkNC
- Saturday 30th April, 19:23 : Many thanks to our new publicity partner for 2016 @reading_buses pic.twitter.com/XEc7v5AoXJ
- Saturday 30th April, 19:14 : A good range of hot food available for those feeling a bit peckish. pic.twitter.com/CvZZbK4uU4