Speak up and demand a fair deal for your local pub. Stop the exploitation of licensees by the large pub companies. Sign up for a Fair Deal for Your Local!
Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- Christmas Meal Thursday 4th December 2014 Zerodegrees
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Strategy Meeting Wednesday 26th November 2014 8:00 pm Fox & Hounds
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 130,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Thursday, 23:40 : RT @WokinghamBC: Motion agreed to try supporting with planning protection local pubs threatened with change of use, & safeguard those at ri…
- Thursday, 23:40 : RT @p_scrivens: Great move by @WokinghamBC who just passed an important motion supporting their local pubs
- Tuesday 18th November, 18:28 : RT @CAMRA_Official: Ladies & gentlemen, we have just made history. The market rent only option was passed by MPs 284 - 269. Thanks for ever#voteforpubs
- Friday 14th November, 14:48 : Call time on the Great British Pub Scandal secure.38degrees.org.uk/pub-scandal-sp… You have until Tuesday, 18th #CAMRA
- Friday 14th November, 09:43 : MT @ReadingSantaRun: Imagine how it'd look with 2000 more Santas! Be a part of it & make it happen this Christmas! pic.twitter.com/oUOzyYUujS
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Thursday, 11:20 : RT @WBandBEER: Wow. Government has accepted market rent only amendment without a fight. Great work @FairDeal4Locals @GregMulholland1 and @CAMRA_Official
- Thursday, 10:53 : RT @ThePubChampion: BREAKING NEWS: Announcement in @HouseofCommons: Govt accept NC2 & @FairDeal4Locals! It is going to happen folks! We hav#madepubhistory
- Tuesday 18th November, 17:13 : RT @GwynneMP: A vote for common sense... Fair market rent and an fair price for ale! Great campaign by @CAMRA_Official #voteforpubs http://pic.twitter.com/7oXxB9PUxA
- Tuesday 18th November, 16:22 : RT @IanMurrayMP: Govt been defeated on pubs vote. 284 to 269. A real victory for publicans up and down the country. Well done @tobyperkinsmp@CAMRA_Official
- Tuesday 18th November, 16:22 : RT @BenPBradshaw: Great result as @UKLabour with some LibDem & Tory rebels defeats Government on #pubcoreform Well done @CAMRA_Official on …
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Friday 25th July, 20:15 : RT @readingCAMRA: Public meeting to discuss local pub closures, this Monday, Eldon Arms, 8pm. If you care about the future of Reading pubs …
- Wednesday 28th May, 22:39 : Please spare a few moments to complete our belated 2014 festival survey: docs.google.com/forms/d/16SkiT… Non attenders - opinions welcome on survey.
- Sunday 4th May 2014, 16:50 : After a great day and lots of thirsty customers, we are now closed to new customers. You've nearly drunk it all! pic.twitter.com/mDd3q26Mye
- Sunday 4th May 2014, 16:08 : RT @adamlinstead: Having a great day in the sunshine at @Readingbeerfest
- Sunday 4th May 2014, 15:42 : Getting busy out in the garden, soaking up the sun on this lovely afternoon. pic.twitter.com/lC10btlrED