Speak up and demand a fair deal for your local pub. Stop the exploitation of licensees by the large pub companies. Sign up for a Fair Deal for Your Local!
Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion; we promote fine beers in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
More Reading CAMRA news.
Our next social event
- Southall Curry Night Friday 26th September 2014 7:30 pm Conservative Club, Southall
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Tuesday 14th October 2014 8:00 pm Royal Oak
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale in real pubs, and Reading CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be a just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This web site will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organization with over 130,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organization in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
Twitter / readingCAMRA
- Friday 12th September, 17:13 : RT @DavidinReading: Depressed about the number of pubs closing locally? Here's something to cheer you up: getreading.co.uk/news/local-new… #rdguk @readingCAMRA
- Friday 12th September, 13:07 : Caversham pub crawl, Saturday 27 Sept readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i…
- Thursday 28th August, 13:07 : Caversham pub crawl, Saturday 27 Sept readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i…
- Wednesday 27th August, 13:42 : RT @NagsHeadReading: Pub of the Year 2014 presentation tonight by @readingCAMRA featuring the Monster Raving Looney Party & 6 Co-ALE-ition @Official_MRLP
- Tuesday 26th August, 20:17 : RT @Jumile: You have to admit this is pretty cool: crowdfunder.co.uk/ubrew @readingCAMRA @wilw @doctorow
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Wednesday, 07:49 : RT @ProperRAC: A sneaky preview of the calendar, calendar launch & pre-orders taken now: properrac.org.uk/calendar-launc… pic.twitter.com/kdmPYn6YpK
- Tuesday, 14:19 : RT @ProperRAC: Exciting news! The @ProperRAC #charity #calendar in aid of @RCTcharity has gone to print. Launching midday on 11 October at @victoriainncol
- Tuesday, 13:05 : Ale tasting @The_Tokenhouse Mon 22 Sept with Kirrily Waldhorn & Roger Protz ow.ly/BxOjK @selcamra @CAMRAswl @CAMRAWestLondon
- Tuesday, 09:16 : Tickets still available for Kirrily Waldhorn & Roger Protz joint beer tasting at the Tokenhouse, EC2R 6DA on 22 Sept. bit.ly/YNU0hX
- Sunday, 14:25 : RT @Lauren_CAMRA: Heading to @Ludlowfoodfest today?Why not attend our tutored beer tasting hosted by @WyeValleyBrew? Spaces available at @CAMRA_Official
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Friday 25th July, 20:15 : RT @readingCAMRA: Public meeting to discuss local pub closures, this Monday, Eldon Arms, 8pm. If you care about the future of Reading pubs …
- Wednesday 28th May, 22:39 : Please spare a few moments to complete our belated 2014 festival survey: docs.google.com/forms/d/16SkiT… Non attenders - opinions welcome on survey.
- Sunday 4th May, 16:50 : After a great day and lots of thirsty customers, we are now closed to new customers. You've nearly drunk it all! pic.twitter.com/mDd3q26Mye
- Sunday 4th May, 16:08 : RT @adamlinstead: Having a great day in the sunshine at @Readingbeerfest
- Sunday 4th May, 15:42 : Getting busy out in the garden, soaking up the sun on this lovely afternoon. pic.twitter.com/lC10btlrED