Welcome to Reading & Mid Berkshire CAMRA
Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion. We promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
Our next social event
- Hungerford Club Beer Festival Social Saturday 26th August 2017 Read description for location information
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Tuesday 12th September 2017 8:00 pm Queens Head, Reading
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This website will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organisation with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organisation in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / ReadingCAMRA
- Sunday, 11:58 : Want to escape Reading next weekend to avoid the festival hubbub? Join us at Hungerford Club Beer Festival:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Sunday, 11:37 : RT @WBCAMRA: Useful guide to local cidermakers on Reading & Mid-Berks CAMRA website #realcider readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i… @WBCAMRAcider @ReadingCAMRA
- Friday 18th August, 14:36 : At a loose end this Saturday? Why not join us for a bus pub crawl with @CamraBSE ? readingcamra.org.uk/viewnode.php?i… pic.twitter.com/oNKMjMricG
- Friday 18th August, 00:19 : RT @FoxandHounds2BB: Layout the beers. #craftbeer #realbeer #exceptnolessthanyoudeserve @ The Fox and Hounds Beer… instagram.com/p/BX6b7GNFimT/
- Wednesday 16th August, 19:32 : RT @explorerdg: God's Wonderful Railway. The revamped @GuineasThree looking splendid. #rdguk pic.twitter.com/Qu5357GCZo
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Sunday 30th April, 16:12 : The Scottish Pipe Band @ Reading Beer Festival 2017 pic.twitter.com/MNc1oQwK2W
- Sunday 30th April, 14:06 : Plenty of beer still available at #RBF17 so why not come and join us! pic.twitter.com/21sJrJznl9
- Sunday 30th April, 11:31 : The festival opens for the last time in 2017, in 30 minutes time.
- Sunday 30th April, 09:33 : Entry today is £7 on the door, children under 18 are free entry.
- Sunday 30th April, 09:32 : Open today from 12pm to 8pm. 300+ beers, 100+ cider and perries, good range of foreign beers and wines still available, why not join us?
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Tuesday, 13:35 : .@BGBW introduced the 'Beer Citizen Communicator' award to celebrate writing done for the love of pubs. Enter here: beerguild.co.uk/awards
- Monday, 09:05 : Hello Monday! We're back in the office, and will get back to any questions and queries sent over the weekend as soon as possible
- Sunday, 13:05 : Thinking about nominating a pub for CAMRA's Pub Design Awards? Find the criteria and the entry form here: camra.org.uk/pub-design-awa…
- Saturday, 15:38 : RT @BruceFerguson: Small world view of the construction of @BoroBeerFest Peterborough Beer Festival 2017, looking good!… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Saturday, 10:20 : Calling Branch Magazine Editors and contributors - @BGBW have introduced a new 'Beer Citizen Communicator' award:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
Twitter / camrabooks
- Friday 18th August, 11:58 : Real Heritage Pubs of the North West by Geoff Brandwood is out now. Find out more and order your copy here: ow.ly/8P9h30eveMA
- Monday 31st July, 12:03 : RT @gbbf: Don't miss it! @danieljneilson + @alanhinkes team up for a Wild Pub Walks Tutored Tasting at #GBBF. Ltd tix left...… twitter.com/i/web/status/8…
- Friday 14th July, 10:35 : RT @gbbf: We’re excited to announce that famous mountaineer @alanhinkes will be coming to @gbbf on Fri to meet and sign copies of #WildPubWalks!
- Friday 14th July, 10:39 : RT @gbbf: Will you be joining @alanhinkes for a pint at #GBBF this year? pic.twitter.com/updzBlIRpY
- Thursday 13th July, 09:35 : Want to try one of the walks for yourself? CAMRA's Wild Pub Walks is out now: ow.ly/GbQU30dAPXg twitter.com/ukhillwalking/…