Welcome to Reading & Mid Berkshire CAMRA
Welcome to the website of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) for Reading & Mid Berkshire branch!
CAMRA is the pub-goer's champion. We promote fine beers, ciders and perries in great pubs and defend the rights of the drinker. If you drink beer, cider, perry or like pubs CAMRA is the place for you!
Our next social event
- New Members' Outing Tuesday 21 November 2017 Twickenham Fine Ales
Our next branch meeting
- Branch Business Meeting Thursday 7 December 2017 20:00 Foresters Arms, Reading
For more details on the events above, including location and maps, click on the event name. More information on other branch events can be found in the Branch Diary.
What is CAMRA?
Do you enjoy Real Ale, Real Cider or Real Perry in Real Pubs? Do you prefer to drink cask-conditioned ale to mass produced, mass market keg beer and lager? Does the continued threat against the unique flavours of real ale worry you? CAMRA is a national organization devoted to promoting real ale, cider and perry in real pubs, and Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA, the local branch, is active both in campaigning for real ale, cider and perry, but also socially.
If any of these sound like you then CAMRA, the Campaign for Real Ale, may be just up your street. If you live in or near Reading, then Reading & Mid-Berkshire CAMRA are busy working to protect your pleasure. This website will show you who we are, what we do and how to join us. If you don't live in this area please visit the National Website.
- To maintain consumer rights
- To promote quality, choice and value for money
- To support the public house as a focus of community life
- To campaign for greater appreciation of traditional beers, ciders and perries as part of national heritage and culture
CAMRA is a volunteer organisation with over 175,000 members. CAMRA exists to promote good quality cask ales in good pubs. CAMRA has been described as the most successful consumer organisation in Europe.
More importantly than all of this, though, is that being a member of CAMRA is fun. Enjoying the finest quality cask ales, real cider and perry in Britain's best pubs is both a pleasure and a hobby. The fact that we are saving our unique heritage happens almost by accident.
CAMRA turned the tide of bland keg beer in the 1970s, when it looked likely that real ale might cease to exist. We have helped in the fight to stop breweries and pubs closing, and were instrumental in the introduction of all-day opening.
We are by no means complacent though. There are many fights still to be won - getting a full pint, or cutting the excessive UK duty on beer. You can help by joining CAMRA today. Our voice is listened to by government because we have so many members. Joining will further strengthen that voice.
If you want to carry on drinking good beer, cider and perry in great pubs, join CAMRA and protect your pleasure.
You can even get involved by becoming one of our Branch Officers, why not read the volunteer roles available here > (requires CAMRA member login)
Twitter / ReadingCAMRA
- Friday, 19:50 : RT @SirQuinno: Seen CAMRA banging on about beer scoring but no idea what it means? Layman's guide below (written by me, obvs) twitter.com/ReadingCAMRA/s…
- Thursday, 19:19 : Urgent call for volunteers: as it currently stands the Ale Trail and Beer Festival will not go ahead in 2018 unless… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Thursday, 12:46 : RT @ThegreyfriarRDG: TODAY'S THE DAY! It's our Binghams Brewery Tap Takeover! Great beer, great atmosphere and the first official... fb.me/8Vx64hvoj
- Wednesday, 14:36 : Have you joined CAMRA in the last two years? If so, you are eligible to join the subsidised trip to Twickenham Fine… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Monday 13th November, 16:56 : Delighted to announce our 2018 Pub of the Year finalists: @BELL_BEER, Bell & Bottle (Shinfield), @castle_tap,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
Twitter / readingbeerfest
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 16:12 : The Scottish Pipe Band @ Reading Beer Festival 2017 pic.twitter.com/MNc1oQwK2W
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 14:06 : Plenty of beer still available at #RBF17 so why not come and join us! pic.twitter.com/21sJrJznl9
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 11:31 : The festival opens for the last time in 2017, in 30 minutes time.
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 09:33 : Entry today is £7 on the door, children under 18 are free entry.
- Sunday 30th April 2017, 09:32 : Open today from 12pm to 8pm. 300+ beers, 100+ cider and perries, good range of foreign beers and wines still available, why not join us?
Twitter / CAMRA_Official
- Sunday, 10:35 : Industry experts including @RogerProtz and @AJTBeer will be leading beer tastings at @BBCGoodFoodShow. Join us: ow.ly/5KdK30gfl4I
- Saturday, 10:15 : Our #PubSavingAward recognises people that have come together to help save a pub that would have otherwise been dem… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Friday, 15:05 : (Hopefully) right now - ICYMI: @TheStanfordArmsPub, @wigancentral, @CricksArmsWA10 + @WeaversRealAle are our #POTY… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Friday, 14:55 : It's been a long Friday! Apologies again and thanks to @SHIRADAWA10 for letting us know the Cricketers Arms does ha… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Friday, 14:45 : Apologies, in our recent tweet about our #POTY finalists we should have tagged @stamfordarmspub - which isn't in Jakarta, but Lowestoft.
Twitter / camrabooks
- Saturday, 12:45 : We'll let you into a little secret... there are some great deals to be had on CAMRA books in our shop (and they mak… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Thursday, 16:50 : Did you know that the 45th edition of the Good Beer Guide is on sale now? Get yours today: ow.ly/T2rH30gxmam… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Monday 13th November, 18:30 : We've been introduced to #MozTheMonster and mince pies are on sale... it might just be time to start thinking about… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Thursday 14th September, 09:32 : The Good Beer Guide 2018 is here! Get your copy of the 45th edition of the UK's best-selling beer and pub guide:… twitter.com/i/web/status/9…
- Monday 11th September, 13:05 : RT @CAMRA_Official: To mark the Good Beer Guide 2018 launch we'll be hosting a Twitter Q&A with editor @RogerProtzBeer on Thurs. Get your q's to us! #AskRoger